By Matthew Hamilton August 28, 2022
There are many benefits to sharing model code and data in open access repositories. These benefits include helping to:
- demonstrate study reproducibility;
- improve model transparency;
- elicit feedback;
- identify errors;
- increase impact; and
- reduce duplication of effort across the mental health modelling field.
However, there are also practical barriers to sharing model code and data in an appropriate manner. These barriers can include:
- concerns about data confidentiality and privacy;
- confusion about licensing;
- the need to identify appropriate storage and dissemination platforms;
- the time and effort required to prepare, document and curate content for public release; and
- lack of technical knowledge.
To help address some (but not all) of the above barriers, we are creating a series of brief tutorials about how to use our open code and data repositories to publicly share your own work and to access work shared by other modellers.